Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Special Day

This morning it was a little harder to get up. It is the struggle that most people face when they are trying to do anything on a consistent basis. But when Tracey got up before me and headed to the showers....well now the whole world was out of order. She left me no choice but to drag myself out of bed and hit the road. 
This morning I was listening to The Ventures. That's right. The Ventures were a Pacific Northwest band that helped create the soundtrack for my early life. There music was surf movies and car races, scenes from"American Grafiti" and "The Fonz." But it reminded me of my youth and the uncomplicated and simple life I had as a young boy. Listening to The Ventures was a nostalgic trip down the streets of my life.
As I walked through my present neighborhood I realized how complicated we make our lives today. I walked past rows and rows of for sale signs...Price Reduced...New Price...Must Sell...I'm Gorgeous On The Inside...all of which screamed of the desperate state peoples personal lives are in (and our country for that matter). They built these beautiful dream homes up on the hill and with the downturn in the economy, these dreams have become nightmares that they need to escape from. It's too bad really.
But then I saw the sunrise...unbelievable...so different from yesterdays...and yet it came again...just like it has for thousands of years. Despite our own personal difficulties, the sun continues to rise every morning. Even in cloudy weather the sun still rises.
And all of that got me thinking about Tracey. Today is her birthday. She is a reminder to me of the simple days of our youth. We were two impetuous kids who fell deeply in lust with one another and allowed our desire for one another to cloud our better judgement and get married. We literally lived on love in those days. Tracey was the most uncomplicated girl I had ever met. And somehow we would get through every conceivable trial in our lives and come out ahead. She helped me to have confidence as she encouraged me and pushed me to do better without ever putting me down or making me feel small. And just like the sunrise, she has been as constant and steady as God himself. Every morning she is there next to me, has been now for 32 years. 
I'm not sure about a lot of things in this world. I don't know who is best to be president, not sure who can fix the energy crisis or the housing crisis. But one thing I know for sure, God totally rocked my world for the better when I met Tracey Lee Fenstermaker that first fateful night on the tennis courts at Cal Poly SLO. She has been a great friend, a wonderful companion, a great example of God's love and consistency. She is a remarkable woman...just don't wake her up in the morning...unless the morning begins at 9.
Happy Birthday my Love.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I am blessed to do life with you at my side! I love you