Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Short Sunday Walk

Sundays are not a day of rest for me. Oh I still have to get up at the same time, but I am busy trying to make my hair look fuller, my butt smaller, and my belly I mitigate with vertical stripes. And I do it all so I can look like I am "real" at church...you know just a laid back casual sort of guy. It is a lot of work being casual, trust me.
So today was kind of special cause it was the first time I was at our church in ten weeks. Thats a long time to be away. So I was nervous and excited all at the same time. You know, you kind of want people to notice your back and tell you they missed you...but fearful they will say "oh, you were gone?" That sucks. But I was genuinely excited to see many people I love and really like to hang with. 
So I got ready to go, and for the first time in weeks I slid on my big boy shoes (they actually make your feet look slimmer). My feet have been in Croc flip flops for ten weeks. The confinement of big boy shoes was almost unbearable. But for a pastor it would have been undignified and somehow unholy to wear flips on a Sunday morning. So, big boys it was.
But on the way to the garage to fire up the Bug and drive the short distance to church, I felt that little tap on the shoulder...I know that tap...it's like a dog who thinks they are going for a walk...it is a tap that you can't ignore. Sure enough, it was God. He was all wiggly and jumpy trying to get me to walk with him to church.
"What, in my big boy shoes?" I says to him. 
"It'll help you break them in" he says to me.
 "Or break me" I says under my breath so he can't hear me. "Come on, it's just a short walk." 
Of course I went with him. He gets so excited to get outside and show off all he has created. "It's a little cold out here" I says to him. 
"Yeah, see how I'm changing the seasons. I like to sneak it in on people by making it cold in the early morning and then warm in the afternoon. But cause you came outside with me I thought I'd give you a little preview of the changing season" he says. 
"I'd rather have a jacket" I says under my breath.
"You know I can hear all of those comments don't you?" he reminds me.
He's right you know. He's always right. He knew just what I needed. A little alone time with him made me feel so much more relaxed and less anxious. It was a beautiful morning. I got to church and there were people there who missed me, and some that didn't know I was gone. 
Life is good. 
 

No comments: