Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Two Roads Diverged

So this morning I am up and at em and ready to head out for my walk. I was so excited to see what it was that God was going to show me so I could write about it and share my brilliant observations with you...sort of enlighten you a wee bit (see I really am a dope). So I load up with Toad The Wet Sprocket's great classic album "Coil"...you know get some of that good Santa Barbara vibe going...and head out the door.
I am no more out the door when a huge flying V of Canadian honkers come screaming over my head at mach speed making a ton of noise. I immediately said to God "is this it Lord? You want me to write about this?" I could hear him chuckle and even snort just a bit...I swear I heard Him say "chill out just a little dude...if I gave you something now, you'd just go right back inside. Walk a bit...you'll see." Doh!!! I'm such a dolt...especially cause He was right.
So I keep walking. I make the usual loop and head up the hill. The hill has become kind of a symbol for me. I now glide up it pretty effortlessly, but that wasn't always so. I used to try and find ways around it...you know so I wouldn't get too out of breath. But now, it's a cinch.
But today I get to the top and I notice that the road that continues on...past the houses...out of the bounderies of my neighborhood...it seems intriguing...I pause to contemplate...to decide whether to go out of bounds or to stay where it is familiar and safe. I notice that the low clouds that can roll in from over the Coast Range are beginning to bring with it some showers...light rain...but rain none the less. In that moment, I go left. I stay on the path that I know. Wouldn't want to get my shoes dirty...slip aroung in the mud and all. I took the one most traveled by.
So as I am walking along the edge of the wild if you will, I start to hear a little whisper...a faint little voice beckoning me to the wild places...I think about the movie "Into the Wild" and all the experiences the guy goes through...all the lessons he learns. I think about how wild my own life used to be. I think about spending a month backpacking through the back country of Yosemite by myself and all I learned about myself and about who God really is. And then I thought about my decision to go left...to play it safe. What was I really worried about? Was it the time commitment? My schedule? Getting breakfast?
I felt God tugging at my heart to break out and do something that requires great faith and trust. To not just play it safe...try something new.
And then...just as I am rounding the bend and heading towards the home stretch...there in the sky...a reminder that God has always had a plan...he has always had a promise. If you will trust me and go into the wild with me...I will be with you and protect you. There before me was a full arching rainbow spanning from the wild placed I did not go and seemingly resting on my home.
God's voice was a little bit louder when I heard Him say "dude, I am with you where it is safe, but it is way more fun out in the wild places. Which road do you want to walk on?"

No comments: