Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Check List for a Great Walk

So I'm thinking this morning, what are the things necessary to make the morning walk really memorable. 
  1. A really good pair of shoes makes your feet feel so good. CHECK
  2. A really good iPod (or iPhone in my case) to get your groove on. CHECK
  3. A really good set of music on the iPod (Jason Mraz this morning...so good). CHECK
  4. A beautiful crisp morning, when your face feels really cold...perfect. CHECK
  5. A flock of ducks and geese flying over head reminding you of far off places. CHECK
  6. Another beautiful moon sinking into the Pacific Ocean. CHECK
  7. A great hill to get your heart pumping. CHECK
  8. Another blazing sun rising from the east. CHECK
  9. An encounter with an Ostrich...WHAT THE....AN OSTRICH?
So I know I'm getting old and my eyes are really starting to tank. But as I am walking along the hill I see something out in the distance. My first thought was it was an ostrich. But you know how you do it, you automatically assume you are wrong. So I started thinking it must be a deer...uh...walking on two legs. So then I thought, it was a guy carrying a big bundle of wheat and burlap sacks coming down from the hills to sell his wheat (kids don't eat paint chips). I thought it could be the biggest thanksgiving turkey I have ever seen.
But as I rounded the corner and headed in the same general direction this thing was going, I could not deny the obvious...IT'S A FLIPPING OSTRICH...NO ONE WILL BELIEVE ME. 
So I'm thinking...where in the who haw did this come from? What is it doing here out in this field and what is that animal accompanying him (or her). Oh, it's a cat.
But as I am contemplating this strange non drug induced apparition, trying to get my iPhone up there to snap it's picture, it starts moving towards me. Slowly at first...but now a little faster. Hey, I have encountered bears and mountain lions and badgers in the wilds...but a flippin ostrich? I booked it...those things can run way faster than me. 
You know, it is always amazing to me how many times God takes the routine and absolutely invade it. But an Ostrich? You are amazing God.

1 comment:

Sarah Butler said...

What in the hoo haw? I think it's actually a flipping emu. But I do believe you!