Monday, November 3, 2008

A Cluttered Landscape

It is almost over. One of the greatest environmental hazzard known to man will be over tomorrow. That's right...the political signs. Thank you Jesus...it's almost over.
This morning as I was walking, I wondered just how effective is the sign in front of our houses. Does it create more exposure for the candidates (like these people need more of that)? Or....is it really intended to make each person take a stand on who they are choosing. Do I need to take a stand on which candidate I am choosing? Will my neighbors say "Oh look...Bill is voting for Barak McCain...maybe I'll change my vote and vote for him too." I just don't see it happening. Most people have decided in the quiet of their home who they are going to vote for, and despite eight billion negative ads, 40 debates, and countless speeches, most people's mind are already made up...even undecided's know...they just don't want to say.
To me, it is even more weird how people change when you begin to discuss politics. I spend most of my time speaking with other followers of Jesus. It is amazing to me how loving and compassionate we can be to those who are far from God, unless their politics differ from ours. I have seen kind loving people who really want to honor God, turn into foaming at the mouth rabid attack Badgers, ready to tear you up and spit you out if they find out who your voting for. I don't get it...is it that important? Is it worth causing all those hard feelings and divisions in the Church? Do you think it really matters who is in the White House? The best government in the world (which I believe we have) still can't save one person for all of eternity. Have we cluttered the lines between our will and wishes and the fact that no matter who is in office, God will reign supreme. And even if the new President leads our nation into the very gates of hell, my life is still secure in the arms of my Father. It is amazing how trials and tribulations have produced amazing men and women of God throughout the world and throughout the ages. A really bad president chould ignite the Church into action...too bad that has to be the case.
Please people...don't let the signs on our lawns clutter up our perspective as well as our landscapes. The race for president will be over tomorrow...but the RACE...the real one...will continue.

No comments: