Monday, February 16, 2009

The Greatest Hits

Well it has been way over a month since I have written...and walked for that matter. But today was one of those special and not so special days. Special because it was a beautiful cold but showy morning. The clouds were really magical, the sun rising made them all shimmer as it began to reflect off of the bottoms of them. The wind was brisk and bitey and depending on the direction I walked it either propelled me along or slapped me right in the face. It was special to listen to music I had been trying to locate for like 30 years and finally found it (Dennis Wilson's "Pacific Ocean Blue"...yeah the Beach Boys Dennis Wilson). It was and still is fantastic. It has one of my all time favorite songs on it called "Only With You." It was special just to be up and moving and outside...considering my advanced age it was really special.

But it was also not special today as well. It was like that 100Th episode of "Seinfeld" where they just show little clips from the past 99 episodes...you know...it's good and funny but nothing you hadn't seen. It's like buying a greatest hits album of your favorite artists. Mostly reruns of something you already have. Again...all good...but you've been there done that.

Today was that day as well. As I spoke to Daddy I was looking for something new and exciting...you know to rock your world. But instead I only saw the things I had seen before...nothing special...just a different day. I even had a close encounter with the Emu again this morning...he didn't scare me and I even got a close up pic of him...no sweat...he didn't even notice I was there. Same old houses, same old streets, same old pains and creaky legs and ankles. Same old Same Old. Kinda boring really.


It wasn't until I got home that it kinda hit me...

Same Old Same Old...can be a good thing. Sometimes it is our desire for the new and shiny toys that makes us fail to recognize that the things we have were once new and shiny to us...but over time they become just routine. It can be a car or a tool or a house or a TV or a yard or a town or a hobby or a memory or a or a or a or a..............

It can be a wife or a husband a child or a grandchild or a mom or a dad or a church or a friend or..........God...my GOD!!!!!

How can we ever take for granted these precious and amazing gifts? Sometimes NOT SPECIAL is incredibly special. Sometimes a Greatest Hits album is better than the original. I mean come on...the number one selling album in the history of the United States at over 29 million copies is "The Eagles Greatest Hits." That's pretty special...

No comments: