Saturday, February 28, 2009

Red Sky In Morning...


The sky was on fire this morning. The pictures really don't do it justice. But it was one of those mornings where you are so proud of yourself for actually getting up and actually getting out the door. When He just says..."Hey Dude...take a look...it's magnificence on display for you...no one else is standing in the exact spot you are and seeing my display like you are...I created this very moment for you...and you alone." Wow...I better take another look.

What do you do when someone does something so special for you. Duh...just say thank you.

I started thinking though about the old addage, "Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning." What in the who haw does that mean...and does it apply to me since I'm just a walker. It seems it has to do with dust particles in the air and it is an indication of turbulence in the air. I guess that means something to someone...but not to me.

I am one of those guys that if I want to know what the weather is like I'll open a window. If I get wet cause there is an unexpected shower...then I'll be wet untill I dry out...no big deal. If it snows and I get trapped and need to camp in my car for 13 days...well...just pray I don't have someone in the car who is weaker than me...can we say together Donner Party. The point is...I don't worry about stuff like that.

But even Jesus talks about this. In Matthew 16 he says to the Pharisee's,
"When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,'and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.'You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky,but you cannot interpret the signs of the times."

It seems that some people are so focused on natural things that they fail to see the obvious. Some see the red sky and see weather related concerns. Some see the red sky and know He is just showing off a little...He can. How sad we get concerned about the weather and not see the bigger warning...a life without Him is going to be way worse than being is a ship in a rough sea...or being the weak guy at the Donner gathering...take a warning...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while. I forgot just how alike we really think. Great message today!
-TM