Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fear Revisited

This morning was all about fear. I mean really...whom do I fear...fear not for I am with you...and yet...there it is. I was afraid last night before going to bed that I was going to have a heart attack. I was afraid at my class that someone was going to jump out from behind the dumpster and beat me and steal my Bug. This morning, I couldn't find my iPhone which doubles as my iPod and my iCamera and my iFart Machine (that's really scary). I took off walking afraid I was still going to have that heart attack and people would think I was a speed bump in the middle of the road (albeit a big one). What can I say...for some unknown reason, I am experiencing fear all of the sudden.

But one of my biggest fears ever I faced head on this morning. One that I wrote about in the past, and now seems so silly. That's right...Elmo the Emu.

If your new to the Walker's Journal, a year ago I saw something strange and weird as I was walking in the early morning dark. I was not quite sure what it was and as I got closer and closer to it it moved quickly and I ran like a crying baby to get away from it. I thought it was an Ostrich, but later learned it was an Emu. Over the months that have followed I've seen him about a dozen times and have been less and less scared of him.

So this morning when I saw him, I not only didn't run away, but I actually called him to me. I did what every trained animal handler does...I whistled and said..."here boy...come here Elmo...come and see me." Of course I extended my hand like I was going to pet him...palm down...cause that's what you do....uh...for strange dogs. I was brave and fearless so he would know I'm not afraid of him...cause that's what you do with Lions...or something.

But to my surprise...Elmo started coming towards me. Now it's a strange thing when the things you fear actually start to come at you...as brave as you are for trying to overcome your fear, when they actually come at you...well...it changes things. All of that bravery I had in that moment was lost. I looked into those beady little eyes and that huge beak and I panicked...I fled...I freaked. I took off out of there at a brisk pace knowing all the while that Elmo could run me down in a second, and he could peck a hole in the back of my head and eat out my brains. No one would know, and no one would intervene cause once an Emu gets the taste of blood...well I shudder to think what would happen.

Its a funny thing about fear. Fear is sometimes real. He gives us the discernment to know when we are in danger. Women have this crazy intuition...especially about weird guys...it is a protection for them. Mankind has a healthy fear of Lions and Tigers and Emu's...cause they can be dangerous. But because we think we can handle anything, we try to overcome those healthy normal fears and challenge the natural order. What we find out is, that it is really just a matter of time before the Lion gets you, just ask Siegfried and Roy.

"Fear not, for I am with you." He said that. He also said..."run for your lives...there's an Emu right behind us." He's pretty smart...and fast too.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for making me laugh today thinking about you running away from Elmo. Also, thank you for your always insightful words. Reading your blog is like a mini sermon, and I mean that in a good way!

Tracey said...

who is this "prophet"guy and why is he on my husband's blog??? I'm not impressed!