Monday, April 20, 2009

The Wall

The term the wall is often referred to in a variety of ways. When one is walking or more likely running, it refers to an imaginary barrier that is very difficult to breakthrough. It often is referred to as something that mothers are driven up by their kids. Sometimes it refers to an immovable block that keeps people from progressing beyond the point at which they are currently. Or sometimes it refers to a barrier we put up to keep ourselves away from others. As a metaphor, it tends to get used a lot and in a variety of ways.

This morning as I walked, I listened to one of the great concept albums of all time. No surprise...it's "The Wall." Yes the landmark work of Pink Floyd, though primarily Roger Waters. It is really a story about a rock star who finds the success he has achieved to be too much for him to handle. So in the story, he builds a wall around him, to isolate himself from all normal life. As he withdraws more and more behind the wall, he becomes more and more detached from the reality of life. It is hard to imagine what that kind of life could be like for us "normal" people. But I get a glimpse of what that might be like when I listen to "The Wall."

This morning I thought I would listen to "The Wall" as kind of a little guilty pleasure. You know, clearly it has no spiritual significance, so it's kind of a "let's be a little rebelious for a moment" moment. In the grand scheme of things, no big deal. Surely He wouldn't mind me having a little fun.

But you know Him...He has a way of taking a little guilty pleasure and speaking right through it. He's like those guys who have a puppet on their lap, and your so busy watching the puppet you don't even notice the guy is speaking through the puppet (basically, I don't know how to spell ventriliquist). That is the way He spoke to me this morning. I was all focussed on the great music and the interesting metaphors, when I hear His voice loud and clear.
"Tear Down The Wall."
I'm all like "hey what a cool picture of these guys and what they need to do."
And he says it again..."TEAR DOWN THE WALL."
"To whom are You refering" I says to Him?
"Do you mean that people should tear down the walls they build up, is that what your refering to?" I says.
"TEAR DOWN THE WALL" He says again.
"WHO?.............ME?"
"Tear down the wall" He says much more softly this time. He gets much quieter when He thinks I'm actually listening...and actually getting it.
"So....your saying I need to tear down the wall...thats what your saying right?" just to push back on his point a little. It also is something I've learned is to restate what you think you have just heard so the other may affirm that that is what has just been stated. I'm pretty clever that way.
He restates it again..."tear down the wall."

I think I get it now. It's not just rock stars who isolate themselves behind imaginary walls, it regular folks like me. I tend to want to hide and protect myself...my heart...behind walls and barriers I put up as a defense mechanism. It is those walls we build that prevent others from actually knowing us and getting in to help us. It is those same walls that keep us from hearing His voice and allowing full access to the deepest regions of pain and hurt that only he has the medicine for. I think it makes a lot more sense to me now.

Tear down the wall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Bill. Thanks for this. I'm so prone to build walls around myself when I want to hide what I'm going through. I needed the reminder. Again.
Linda