Monday, April 6, 2009

Songs in the Key of Life


I know, that is also the title of Stevie Wonder's landmark album. I know cause that was what I was listening to this morning on my walk. There are just some things that just go together, and walking and Stevie are made for each other. It must be quite a fright though for people waking up in the morning, going out to get their paper, and seeing a fat old white dude boogying down the street...not really walking, but more like grooving. Can't explain what happens...but it is a startling transformation...I FEEELLLL like I have rhythm...even if I don't.

What I love about this album, besides the music...is how Stevie shatters our conventional ideas and see's the world through His eyes. Maybe it is because Stevie can't actually see. You know how other senses seem to be enhanced when one is not present. Maybe He gave him a special ability to "see" what is important.

Now I have no idea what Stevie's religious affiliation is. My guess he is like most people, sort of a mixed bag of beliefs from various sources. But there is something about what God does through people with different perspectives. He uses people, even harsh critics, to hold up a mirror to our lives. When someone says people in the church are predjudiced and hypocritical, it is easy for us to discount what that person says. Or we can turn it back to them and show how evil they are and try to minimize that person.

Or..........we can take what they say and evaluate it as if looking into a mirror. As I listened to Stevie sing songs about the inequality that exists in the lives of men because, and soley because of the color of our skin, I have to admit that that is true. And not just true in the world, but true in my life. Now I may not have predjudice against black people, but it may be against Chinese people, or Arabs, or Skinheads.

The reality is we do have predjudice. As a person who walks with Him on a regular basis, you would think I would take on more of His characther. He is in fact a lover and designer of every person, people group, color, language...and yet, often I fail to appreciate what He has created.

That's why, I allow people like Stevie to speak into my life. I want to know how a Black man living in America feels and what he experiences...I need to know...I need to care...because He cares. As long as I keep myself closed off and segregated...even in my mind...I fail to see the spectrum of color and light He has created for me. I cannot be full and complete until I understand that I am not the apex of His creation...who could follow someone so shallow that would make me as their finest example of creativity.

But He is not me. He loves to create beauty in this world...it's up to us to open our eyes and see all that He creates. It is up to us to open our ears and listen to the beauty of the songs in the key of life all around us. Thanks Stevie for allowing Him to use you.

No comments: